Wednesday 31 May 2017

When You Are Nervous

      When You Are Nervous

I was nervous before I left, anticipating the unknown. Curious, but nervous. I packed all of the anxieties I could think of and in the early hours of Sunday morning we flew out and regardless of what would happen when we arrived, it would happen.

This was the first time I would ever stand up in front of a class of young students and the first time I would be doing any sort of teaching. This was the challenge I applied for and I was excited to face it. I wanted to do it well. We arrived on the Sunday and after a brief meet with the school principal and later meeting the classes, we didn’t actually start working until the Wednesday.


When I’m nervous I ask questions and I think it’s a good idea. Prepare yourself as much as you can and that way you’ll feel more confident going in on your first day. When we went in, I was, of course very nervous but it meant I was going to try my best and after all that, it wasn’t nearly as daunting as I thought it would be. The students were curious in a different way than me, but curious none the less. Most of the teachers were easy going and friendly and let us do our own thing. The classes go so quickly that by the time you settle in and get a rhythm going it’s almost over and it leaves you less nervous and more curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment