Saturday 30 May 2015

Es Hora de Decir Adiós


Our time in Alpedrete has come to a end and although we are both itching to get home to see our loved ones after a long three weeks apart it is with great sadness we have to write our last post. These three weeks have been some of the best of our lives. We have had an experience that money can’t buy and will have memories that will last us a lifetime.

Not only have we gained some invaluable teaching experience we have improved our comprehension of another language, embraced another culture and had the opportunity to share some of our own. We have done all of this in a short space of time and are so thankful to have done so in the beautiful town of Alpedrete. 

Our Highs and Lows

Jamie

I am looking forward to going home to sleep in a proper bed and seeing my loved ones. If that is all I have to complain about then I have definitely had a good time.  I have adored my time here in Alpedrete.  I love the vibe of the place, so relaxed and easygoing. I loved that nobody spoke English here, it has forced us to use our Spanish and it has been significantly improved as a result.  I have a taste for Jamon Iberico and Manchego now so I will be hunting them down when I go home, the long and lazy meals spent chatting with good company are a huge contrast to meals out at home. The food is better, the service is better and you can take as long as you like. Everything is so cheap here, you get a lot more for your money in terms of both quality and quantity.

I will miss working at the schools most of all, there have been a few rocky moments with some students who at first seemed resistant to our teaching methods but soon warmed to us. There are a few students who we will never forget be that for their work ethic or for their cheekiness. Every day they made us laugh and made us proud of them for everything they have achieved. The three classes we were assigned were amazing to work with, and our co-teachers were beyond helpful, especially Beverly whose enthusiasm and passion for her work is infectious. I’ll even miss being called Hamie!

Wendy

To echo Jamie’s sentiments I am really looking forward to seeing my loved ones, particularly my partner. We have been afforded with a fantastic backdrop to our time here in Alpedrete. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking at times. It was a blessing that so few of the locals spoke English because it forced us to take a step out of our comfort zone and attempt to speak Spanish. The locals were extremely friendly and seemed to appreciate our attempts at speaking Spanish.  I loved the laid back and easy going attitudes of the town, something that appeals to my nature. We bought into the siesta culture and even had a few daytime naps of our own.  The only improvement I would suggest in terms of food is that it would be nice to have the option of ordering vegetables. They seemed to be a rare commodity. My most memorable meal has to be pig’s ear. It was extremely tasty but it was hard to ignore the hairs still on the meat.

 

I thoroughly enjoyed working with the students.  Each group that we worked with brought something different to the experience. Year 8 were fun and overflowing with enthusiasm. Year 9 were unpredictable, boisterous and surprised us with the work they produced. Year 10 were hardworking and possibly the most academic out of all our groups. I will certainly return to Madrid in the near future.

 

Several people have made this experience possible. We would like to thank Adrian, Clive, Beverly, Jan and Eva from Montessori. They have helped us immensely during our time. To Colin,  Amanda, Miriam and Sean. Thank you for your assistance, guidance and ultimately your faith in us.

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment